Proposed W3C Charter: Web Fonts Working Group
L. David Baron
2018-11-16 00:12:54 UTC
The W3C is proposing a revised charter for:

Web Fonts Working Group
https://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/webfonts-2018-ac.html
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2018Oct/0015.html

This is proposing a new work item for the group, Progressive Font
Enrichment, to allow progressive download of subsets of the font's
glyph repetoire.

Mozilla has the opportunity to send comments or objections through
next Tuesday, November 20.

Please reply to this thread if you think there's something we should
say as part of this charter review, or if you think we should
support or oppose it.

-David
--
𝄞 L. David Baron http://dbaron.org/ 𝄂
𝄢 Mozilla https://www.mozilla.org/ 𝄂
- Robert Frost, Mending Wall (1914)
Xidorn Quan
2018-11-16 12:39:50 UTC
Post by L. David Baron
Web Fonts Working Group
https://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/webfonts-2018-ac.html
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2018Oct/0015.html
This is proposing a new work item for the group, Progressive Font
Enrichment, to allow progressive download of subsets of the font's
glyph repetoire.
I think we should support it.

While web fonts have been widely used on English websites, it is rarely found on Chinese websites as far as I can see, and I believe lack of native support of some progressive loading for fonts with large character set is the main reason impeding such adoption.

- Xidorn
Jonathan Kew
2018-11-16 13:02:27 UTC
Post by Xidorn Quan
Post by L. David Baron
Web Fonts Working Group
https://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/webfonts-2018-ac.html
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2018Oct/0015.html
This is proposing a new work item for the group, Progressive Font
Enrichment, to allow progressive download of subsets of the font's
glyph repetoire.
I think we should support it.
While web fonts have been widely used on English websites, it is rarely found on Chinese websites as far as I can see, and I believe lack of native support of some progressive loading for fonts with large character set is the main reason impeding such adoption.
Agreed, we should support this. Once it reaches the point where there's
a firm specification, I expect it's something we'll want to integrate
into Firefox as part of our webfont support.

(I'm anticipating that most of the actual development of a spec, and
probably of a reference implementation, will be tackled by some of the
other WG members who have long had a strong interest in this; but we'll
want to monitor the development and eventually adopt the result.)

JK